Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Operators and the Law

A driver with a Class A, B, or C Commercial Driver License (CDL) is automatically licensed to operate both commercial and private (noncommercial) motor vehicles using one driver license.

However, if the driver commits an offense that requires the suspension or revocation of his/her driver license, the driver will lose all driving privileges, including commercial driving privileges.

A CDL holder, whose license is suspended or revoked cannot drive any CMV during the period of suspension or revocation. The CDL holder can only apply for limited driving privileges to operate private (noncommercial) vehicles.

What are some of the offenses that require the suspension or revocation of any driver license?

The Point System Point Accumulation Action Against Driver
8 points in 18 months 1st suspension - 30 days
2nd suspension - 60 days
3rd or more suspensions - 90 days
12 points in 12 months,
18 points in 24 months, or
24 points in 36 months
License revoked for 1 year

Examples of point system violations:

Commercial Driver's Driving Record History

A commercial driver's driving history travels with the driver when he or she moves from state to state. A driver's history, prior to coming to Missouri, is shown on the Missouri driving record under "Informational Driving History." If serious or disqualifying traffic offenses are contained in the informational driving history and additional offenses are committed while licensed as a Missouri driver, all offenses in the informational driving history and the current offenses are used (evaluated) to determine if a disqualification of the commercial driving privilege is required.


A disqualification is a loss of only commercial driving privileges for a specified period of time. During a disqualification, if the driver is not otherwise suspended or revoked, he or she can continue to drive private (non-commercial) motor vehicles without obtaining limited driving privileges.

A driver may be disqualified for the following convictions in this or any other state:

Failure to Appear Disqualification (Non-Member States)

60 Days Disqualification

90 Days Disqualification

120 Days Disqualification

180 Days Disqualification

1 Year Disqualification

2 Year Disqualification

3 Year Disqualification

Lifetime Disqualification

Permanent Disqualification

Imminent Hazard Disqualification (not to exceed one year)

Masking of Traffic Violations for CDL Drivers Not Allowed

The courts are not allowed to defer imposition of sentence, suspend imposition of sentence, or allow a CDL holder or person required to have a CDL to enter into a diversion program that prevents a conviction regarding traffic control laws, in any type of vehicle, from appearing on the person's driving record.

Driver Improvement Programs

No driver improvement program in lieu of points is currently allowed for offenses that are committed in a CMV. Driver improvement programs are not allowed by any person for any offenses committed in a CMV or by any CDL holder whether the offenses are committed in a noncommercial or commercial motor vehicle.

Limited Driving Privileges

Limited Driving Privileges (LDP) will not be issued to operate a CMV during any period of suspension, revocation, cancellation, or disqualification.

Limited driving privileges:

CDL with Hazardous Materials Endorsement Shall Expire No More than Five Years from the Date of the Background Check

Persons applying for or renewing a CDL with a hazardous materials (HazMat) endorsement must submit an application and fingerprints to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to obtain approval for the endorsement prior to issuance. Drivers pending the TSA assessment response will be eligible for one 90-day temporary CDL. Once approved, they will be issued a license with an expiration date not to exceed five years from the date of the TSA assessment. Commercial license holders with a HazMat endorsement will no longer be eligible for a 6-year license. These changes are due to the requirements of the USA PATRIOT ACT.

CDL with School Bus Endorsement

Persons who apply for a commercial or noncommercial driver license and want to operate a school bus owned or under contract with a public or private school will be required to complete the required written and skills testing and obtain a school bus (S) endorsement on his or her driver license. Prior to obtaining the S endorsement, the driver must take the written and skills test for the school bus endorsement. Commercial license holders are required to have a passenger (P) endorsement on the face of their CDL to be eligible for the S endorsement.

Drivers with a valid CDL from another state who wish to operate a school bus owned or under contract with a public or private school must also have the P and S endorsements issued pursuant to federal regulations.

Checks Before Issuance of a Driver License or Permit

Prior to issuance of a new, renewal, or duplicate commercial or noncommercial driver license or permit, a state shall request information from the National Driver Register and the Commercial Driver License Information System (CDLIS) regarding the individual's driver status.

Request for 10-Year Driving Record Information

Prior to issuance of a new or renewal commercial driver license, the state must request from any other state that has issued a driver license to the individual, all information about the driving record of the applicant and mark the record showing the check has been done.