Criminal History Checks
Criminal history record check information for noncriminal justice applicant privacy rights can be found on the Missouri State Highway Patrol's website.
At the end of a 5- or 10-year denial, you must petition the circuit court in the county where your last alcohol- or drug-related driving conviction occurred to obtain an order of reinstatement. As a part of the petition process, you must register with the Missouri Automated Criminal History Site (MACHS) for a Criminal History Check. That will require a 4-digit Fingerprint Registration Number.
- How do I get my 4-digit Fingerprint Registration Number?
- What should I do after I have my Fingerprint Registration Number?
- Are there any fees required for the Criminal History Check?
- When I go to the fingerprinting site, what am I required to bring with me?
- What happens if I’m eligible to reinstate my 5- or 10-year denial action, but can’t get an order of reinstatement due to a more recent offense?
- Who should I contact if I have other questions about how to obtain an order of reinstatement?
You may use the Fingerprint Registration Number Chart to find the correct number for the court in the Missouri county where your petition is being filed, or you may call our central office at (573) 751-1887.
After you have your Fingerprint Registration Number, you must register with the Missouri Automated Criminal History Site (MACHS) so that your Criminal History Check can be performed by 3M/Cogent (the fingerprint services vendor for the state of Missouri). Please follow the instructions on the MACHS website.
Individuals without Internet access may contact 3M/Cogent by phone, toll free, at 877-862-2425. By calling this number, you may speak to a Fingerprint Services Representative who can key the registration into MACHS on your behalf.
As part of the MACHS registration, you will receive a Transaction Control Number (TCN). This number will be your "tracking number" if you have questions about the status of your background check in the future.
The fee for the Criminal History Check is $44.80. This includes the fingerprinting fee, state processing fee, and FBI processing fee. This fee may be paid at the time you complete your MACHS registration or at the fingerprinting location.
After you have registered with MACHS, you may go to the appropriate fingerprinting location. You are required to:
- Present photo ID;
- Provide your Transaction Control Number (TCN); and
- Pay the $44.80 Criminal History Check fee if you did not pay at the time of MACHS registration.
You will be fingerprinted, your photo will be taken, and you will receive a receipt. To verify the receipt of your fingerprint submission, contact the Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) at (573) 526-6312.
Depending on your criminal history record, it may take 30 days or longer before the results are sent to the Department of Revenue and the court.
What happens if Iím eligible to reinstate my 5- or 10-year denial action, but canít get an order of reinstatement due to a more recent offense?
Your ability to obtain any type of driving privilege following a 5- or 10-year Denial action hinges on your ability to pass the criminal history check that is required when you petition the court for an Order of Reinstatement:
- The eligible reinstatement date for a 5- or 10-year Denial should only be thought of as the earliest date that you may petition the court for an order of reinstatement.
- If you apply for a Limited Driving Privilege (LDP) after your eligible reinstatement date has passed, the application will be denied. This is true even if your petition for an order of reinstatement is denied by the court.
If you have additional questions about how to obtain an order of reinstatement, please contact the circuit court in the county where your last alcohol- or drug-related driving conviction occurred.