Personalized and Specialty License Plates
The Missouri Department of Revenue offers many options to personalize the license plates on your vehicle. Personalized plates allow you to select a “configuration” of up to 6 characters (depending on the type of plate and vehicle) to appear on your plate. You may now Personalize and Renew standard license plates online. Specialty plates provide similar license plate configuration options, but also offer plate designs with even more individuality, including plates showing support for colleges and universities, military personnel, charitable groups, and various other organizations. Specialty plates are currently not available to reserve online.
- Specialty License Plate Development Process
- Applying for Personalized or Specialty License Plates
- Personalize and Reserve Online
- Personalized Plate Configurations
- List of Specialty Plates
- Preview Specialty Plates
- Personalize and Reserve License Plates Online
- Check the Status of a Personalized or Specialty Plate Order
Additional Plates Available:
- Conservation Heritage License Plate Information
- Free License Plates for Qualified Disabled Veterans
- Free License Plates for Qualified Former Prisoners of War
- Homeland Security Fight Terrorism License Plate Information
- Historic License Plate Information
To obtain a set of personalized or specialty license plates for your vehicle, you must submit a completed Application for Missouri Personalized and Special License Plates (Form 1716), Application for Missouri Military Personalized License Plates (Form 4601), or Application for Missouri Historic or Personalized Historic License Plates (DOR-570) and the application fee (a fee of $15 applies to personalized, specialty, or military plates and a fee of $43.75 applies to personalized historic plates) to the Department of Revenue. These forms are available online, at any Missouri license office, or you may request a copy to be sent by mail or you may click here to Personalize & Reserve license plates online.
If you are requesting a specialty plate bearing the emblem of a particular organization, you may also be required to submit the proper Emblem Use Authorization Statement (EUAS) from that organization, or your membership card to the organization if applicable. If you are requesting a personalized or specialty military plate you will need to submit proof of your honorable discharge (or active duty status if applicable) and that you have received the necessary military award or decoration that makes you eligible for the particular military plate.
This application process is separate from any regular fees or documents that may be required when you register your vehicle.
Motor Vehicle Bureau
301 West High Street - Room 370
PO Box 569
Jefferson City MO 65105-0569
If your requested plate configuration is not available, you may submit additional configuration choices with your paid receipt or you may apply for a refund of the $15 application fee.
If your requested plate configuration is available, your plates will be ordered (turnaround time may be several weeks). Our staff will then mail a notification letter to you when your plates are available for pickup at your designated license office. Additional fees to transfer the plate to your vehicle will be required at that time.
NOTE: A $15 reservation fee and EUAS (if applicable) are required for each year the plate is renewed.
Refer to the list below for the maximum number of characters allowed in a personalized plate configuration:
- Regular personalized license plate design with no emblem or wheelchair symbol: up to 6 characters (plus one space, dash, or apostrophe if desired)
- Plates with an emblem or wheelchair symbol: up to 6 characters (or 5 characters plus one space, dash, or apostrophe if desired)
- Plates with an emblem and wheelchair symbol: up to 4 characters (or 3 characters plus one space, dash, or apostrophe if desired)
- Motorcycle/motortricycle plates with no emblem or wheelchair symbol: up to 6 characters (or 5 characters plus one space, dash, or apostrophe if desired)
- Motorcycle/motortricycle plates with an emblem or wheelchair symbol: up to 5 characters (or 4 characters plus one space, dash, or apostrophe if desired)
- Motorcycle/motortricycle plates with an emblem and wheelchair symbol: up to 3 characters (or 2 characters plus one space, dash, or apostrophe if desired)
NOTE: For disabled person plates, the wheelchair accessibility symbol will appear on the left side of the plate (or immediately to the right of the emblem on an emblem plate).
The Department cannot guarantee that your selected configuration is available, nor is it possible to reserve a configuration without applying and paying the appropriate fees.
Click here to check the availability of a configuration and to reserve standard personalized license plates online. No personalized license plates shall be issued containing any letters, numbers, or combination of letters and numbers which are obscene, profane, patently offensive or contemptuous of a racial or ethnic group, offensive to good taste or decency, or would present an unreasonable danger to the health or safety of the applicant, or other users of streets and highways, or of the public in any location where the vehicle with such a license plate may be found. Any license plates that are inadvertently issued may be recalled. The department will not issue license plates that conflict with the regular license numbering system.
Use the license plate graphic below to select a personalized plate, and see how your personalized characters would appear on a license plate.
You may click on the logo (at right) to select a personalized “configuration” (up to 6 characters) to be displayed on your regular Personalized license plates, and then submit your application. When the plates are ready, they will be delivered to your local license office for you to pick up (additional fees and documents may be required).
NOTE: The online personalization and reservation feature is not currently available for Specialty license plates.
You may use the drop-down menus, below, to view the various Missouri specialty and personalized license plates. Due to normal variations in computer screens and displays, colors may appear slightly different from their appearance on the actual license plates.
NOTE: At this time, Specialty license plates must be renewed by mail or at a Missouri license office.