Missouri Income Tax and Property Tax Credit Claim Assistance
The Department of Revenue offers income tax and Property Tax Credit Claim assistance at its seven Tax Assistance Centers.
Taxpayers will be served on a "first come - first served" basis appointments are not required. If you have questions about obtaining assistance, you may contact the Tax Assistance Center nearest you. Photo ID is required for all tax assistance. If filing a joint return both parties must provide photo ID.
For Missouri income tax assistance, you must bring:
- Your completed federal income tax return;
- W-2 form(s) or any other documents verifying Missouri withholding;
- Social security number verification of all parties (driver license, social security card, etc.).
- A completed copy of any other state return that you were required to file
For Property Tax Credit Claim assistance, you must bring:
- Social security number verification of all parties (driver license, social security card, etc.);
- Paid real estate tax receipt - Canceled checks and mortgage statement will not be sufficient proof of payment of real estate tax.
- Rent payments - If you pay rent, you must provide copies of rent receipts signed by your landlord that include landlord's name, address and phone number. If your landlord will not provide rent receipts, copies of canceled checks will be accepted as sufficient proof of payment of rent; however, you still must provide the address and phone number of your landlord.
- If you rent from a facility that does not pay property taxes, you are not eligible for a Property Tax Credit.
- Proof of all household income that may apply:
- Social Security (Form 1099-SSA)
- SSI/Public Relief (Request form from Social Security Office)
- TANF (Assistance to Children)
- Unemployment benefits
- Railroad retirement
- VA payments
- Rental income
- If the homestead consists of five acres or more, you must have an Assessor Certification (Form 948) indicating the amount of tax paid on the five acres and your homestead.
- If you own a mobile home and the property tax receipt includes automobiles or other personal property, you must have an Assessor Certification (Form 948).