File and Pay Your Personal Taxes
General Information About Personal Tax Electronic Filing and Paying
Filing and paying taxes electronically is a fast growing alternative to mailing paper returns and payments. The Missouri Department of Revenue received more than 225,000 electronic payments in 2015. The Department also received more than 2.5 million electronically filed returns in 2015. Convenience, accuracy, and the ability to direct deposit your refund are just a few of the reasons why electronic filing is becoming one of the Department's most popular filing methods.
A penalty may be assessed on any return not filed by the due date.
Electronic filing works in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) Electronic Filing System. Taxpayers can electronically file from a computer, or by using a tax preparer who is an approved Electronic Return Originator (ERO). The state return is transmitted to the IRS along with the federal return. When the federal return is accepted, an acknowledgment (electronic confirmation) is sent from the IRS. The IRS then transmits the state return information to the Department. When the state return is accepted, an acknowledgment is sent from the Department.
The Department has entered into an agreement with certain software providers to offer free online filing services to qualified Missouri taxpayers. This agreement is called Free File Alliance. Through this agreement, taxpayers can file their Federal and Missouri state income tax returns using approved software.
- For more information, visit our E-file Frequently Asked Questions.
- Free Online Filing of Federal and State Income Tax Returns through the Free File Alliance
- IRS Link to Free Federal Online Filing
- Software Providers Offering Online Filing of Federal and State Income Tax Returns
- IRS List of Authorized ERO’s
Benefits of Electronic Filing
- Convenience. You can electronically file 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Security. Your tax return information is encrypted and transmitted over secure lines to ensure confidentiality.
- Accuracy. Electronic filed returns have 13 percent fewer errors than paper returns.
- Direct Deposit. You can have your refund direct deposited into your bank account.
- Proof of Filing. An acknowledgment is issued when your return is received and accepted.
The Missouri Department of Revenue accepts online payments, including extension and estimated tax payments, using a credit card or E-Check (Electronic Bank Draft). E-Check is an easy and secure method allows you to pay your individual income taxes by bank draft.
- Electronic Bank Draft (E-Check) - You will need your routing number and checking or savings account number. There will be a .50 cent handling fee to use this service. Please allow 3-4 business days for E-check transactions to apply to your tax account. Please note that your payment will be postmarked the date you submitted payment, unless your payment is scheduled for a future date.
- Debit & Credit Card - The Department accepts MasterCard, Discover, Visa, and American Express. Debit cards are accepted and processed as credit cards. Please allow 5-6 business days for debit and credit card transactions to apply to your tax account. Please note that your payment will be postmarked the date you submit payment. The following convenience fees will be charged to your account for processing:
|Transaction Amount||Convenience Fee|
|$0.00 - $50.00||$1.25|
|$50.01 - $75.00||$1.75|
|$75.01 - $100.00||$2.15|
|$100.01 and up||2.15 %|
Pay Online (leaving dor.mo.gov webspace)
NOTE: The handling or convenience fees included in these transactions are being paid to the third party vendor, Collector Solutions, Inc., not to the Missouri Department of Revenue. This includes Collector Solutions Inc.’s right to electronically debit a service charge in the amount of $25.00, if applicable, for processing of an Insufficient Funds or Closed Account transaction from your designated bank account in addition to whatever charges your bank may assess. By accessing this filing and payment system, the user will be leaving Missouri's website and connected to the website of Collector Solutions, Inc. The website of Collector Solutions, Inc., is a secure and confidential website.