Children in Crisis (CIC) Tax Credit
NOTE: Contributions to a Children in Crisis organization must be made by August 28, 2012
Under Sections 135.333, RSMo, the Children in Crisis Tax Credit sunsets on August 28, 2012. All children in crisis tax credit claimants must contribute to an eligible agency on or before August 28, 2012 to qualify for the credit.
All children in crisis tax credit claimants must submit claims by September 1, 2013. In the event the credit is carried forward to the claimant's 2013, 2014, 2015 or 2016 tax returns, claimants may submit their claims until the due date or the extended due date of the return.
- Provides a tax credit for contributions made to a qualified agency as determined by the Department of Social Services.
- Any individual or corporation that has income tax due under Chapter 143, RSMo, excluding taxes withheld under sections 143.191 to 143.265, RSMo, and that makes a contribution to a qualified agency.
How the Program Works
- Beginning January 1, 2006, a credit may be claimed in an amount equal to fifty percent of a contribution made to a qualified agency. The minimum credit issued will not be less than fifty dollars.
Eligible Use of Tax Credit
- Any amount of tax credit which exceeds the tax due or which is applied for and otherwise eligible for issuance but not issued, may be carried forward to the next four subsequent taxable years. The CIC credit is nonrefundable.
Procedures to Claim the Credit
- To claim the Children in Crisis credit, the taxpayer must attach a copy of the contribution verification provided by the qualifying agency to the taxpayer’s return along with a completed Form MO-TC.
- The cumulative amount of tax credits redeemed shall not exceed the unclaimed portion of the resident adoption category allocation. In the event the total amount of tax credits claimed exceeds the amount available, the amount redeemed will be apportioned equally to all eligible taxpayers claiming the credit.
- All claimants that claim the Children in Crisis credit must file a return between July 1 through April 15 of the fiscal year.
This credit may be applied to the taxpayer’s individual income tax, or corporation income tax, or any other tax incurred under the provisions of Chapter 143, RSMo, excluding state withholding tax.
- Form MO-TC, Miscellaneous Tax Credits
- Form CIC, Children In Crisis
- Individual Income Tax Forms
- Business Tax Forms
Contact Missouri Department of Revenue, Taxation Division
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 573-522-6864 (for individual tax)
- Phone: 573-751-4541 (for business tax)