Children in Crisis (CIC) Tax Credit
NOTE: Contributions to a qualified agency made January 1, 2013 or after will be claimed as a Champion for Children Tax Credit.
Section 135.341, RSMo, reauthorized the Children in Crisis Tax Credit as Champion for Children Tax Credit for any contributions made January 1, 2013 forward.
In the event the credit is carried forward to the claimant’s 2013, 2014, 2015, or 2016 tax returns, the claimants may submit their claims as a Children in Crisis until the due date or the extended due date of the return.
- Provides a tax credit for contributions made to a qualified agency as determined by the Department of Social Services.
- Any individual or corporation that has income tax due under Chapter 143, RSMo, excluding taxes withheld under Sections 143.191 to 143.265, RSMo, and that makes a contribution to a qualified agency.
How the Program Works
- Children in Crisis Tax Credits may be claimed in an amount equal to fifty percent of a contribution. The minimum contribution amount is $100 dollars.
Eligible Use of Tax Credit
- Any amount of tax credit which exceeds the tax due may be carried forward to the next four subsequent years, not to exceed a total of five years. The CIC tax credit is nonrefundable and may be assigned, transferred, or sold.
Procedures to Claim the Credit
- To claim the Children in Crisis Tax Credit, the taxpayer must attach Form MO-CIC or a copy of the contribution verification provided by the qualifying agency to the income tax return along with a completed Form MO-TC.
- The cumulative amount of the tax credits redeemed shall not exceed the unclaimed portion of the resident adoption category allocation. In the event the total amount of tax credits claimed exceeds the amount available, the amount redeemed will be apportioned equally to all eligible taxpayers claiming the credit.
- All claimants that claim the Children in Crisis Tax Credit must file a return between July 1 through April 15 of each fiscal year.
This credit may be applied to the taxpayer’s individual income tax, corporation income tax, or any other tax incurred under the provisions of Chapter 143, RSMo, excluding state withholding tax.
- Form MO-TC, Miscellaneous Tax Credits
- Form CIC, Children In Crisis
- Individual Income Tax Forms
- Business Tax Forms
Contact Missouri Department of Revenue, Taxation Division
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: 573-526-8733 (for individual tax)
- Phone: 573-751-4541 (for business tax)