Missouri resident with income from another state

Nonresident Alien with income from Missouri

As a nonresident alien with Missouri source income, you are unable to claim the Missouri standard deduction. You must complete MO-A, Part 2, and itemize. However, if you claimed a $0 deduction on your federal return, you are required to file a $0 on your Missouri return.

Nonresident with income from Missouri and another state

Your Missouri return must begin with your total income (federal adjusted gross income) as reported on your federal return, even if you have income from another state. Your deductions and exemptions apply to your total income, not just part of it. The return is computed as if you are a full year resident and is then reduced by the Missouri income percentage (Form MO-NRI). The result is a prorated Missouri tax, based only on the income earned in Missouri.

Part-year resident with income from another state

Yes, if income received in Missouri or earned in Missouri was greater than $600 for a nonresident or $1,200 for a resident. As a part-year resident, you generally have the option of claiming a Missouri resident credit (Form MO-CR) or Missouri income percentage (Form MO-NRI). Since Florida does not have a state income tax, you are not eligible to claim the resident credit. You must complete Form MO-1040, along with Form MO-NRI to calculate your Missouri income percentage. By completing Form MO-NRI, you will be taxed on the income received while you were a resident of Missouri only.

Part-year resident with income from multiple states

You must complete Form MO-1040, along with either Form MO-CR (Missouri resident credit) or Form MO-NRI (Missouri income percentage), whichever is to your benefit. Remember, you cannot claim both. As a part-year Missouri resident, you may claim a resident credit for taxes paid to Kansas, leaving the income earned in Missouri and Texas as taxable income on your Missouri return; OR you may claim a Missouri income percentage, taxing you only on the Kansas income you earned while living in Missouri. Be sure to calculate your Missouri return using both Forms MO-CR and MO-NRI to determine which will result in the lowest Missouri tax liability.

Nonresidents who pay property tax to another state

In accordance with Section 143.121.2 RSMo, for tax years beginning January 1, 2007, if a nonresident reported property taxes paid to another state or political subdivision on their federal Schedule A, they must report the amount of property taxes paid to a state other than Missouri as an addition modification on Form MO-A, unless that state or political subdivision allows a subtraction to income for Missouri property taxes.

Example: A resident of Kansas paid property taxes to a county in Kansas and included the amount paid on Line 7 of federal Schedule A. The Kansas resident is not required to report the property taxes paid as an addition modification on Form MO-A, because the state of Kansas allows individuals to include Missouri property taxes paid as part of their Kansas itemized deduction, which subsequently reduces their Kansas tax.

The following states have no state income tax or do not allow Missouri property taxes to be deducted.  If you paid property tax in any of these states, and included that tax paid in your itemized deductions, you must add that amount to your Missouri income tax return.

  • Alaska
  • Florida
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • Nevada
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

If you still have questions, please check out other Individual Income Tax FAQs.

Related Link: Resident or Nonresident Information

Related Forms: Form MO-CR or Form MO-NRI