Home » News » News Item

April 14, 2010

Haitian Relief Workers Qualify for Extension to File or Pay State & Federal Taxes

JEFFERSON CITY - Qualified Missouri citizens who are helping or who assisted in providing earthquake relief in Haiti will have additional time to file or pay their 2009 federal and state taxes.

The Internal Revenue Service yesterday announced that members of the military who participated in relief efforts after the devastating Jan. 12 earthquake in Haiti will get the same automatic extension given to military personnel in combat zones.  Certain civilians who provided earthquake relief also qualify for the extension, including Red Cross personnel, accredited correspondents and civilian support personnel acting under the direction of the Armed Forces.  The extension is for at least 180 days after an individual leaves Haiti.

Alana M. Barragán-Scott, director of the Missouri Department of Revenue announced that the state of Missouri would also give the same extension to qualified Missourians who had not yet filed their state tax returns that are due April 15.

"Although the number of people who qualify for the extension in Missouri is relatively small, it's important to acknowledge the important work they have accomplished and are still providing to this day," Barragán-Scott said.  "Allowing these brave and generous relief workers extra time to file their tax returns is a small gesture of appreciation, but one that is absolutely deserved."

People who qualify for the extension can write "HAITI RELIEF" on the top of their state tax return when the return is filed during the extension period.

The extension applies to a number of tax-related matters, but the most common include 2009 Tax Year federal and state income tax returns, and federal and state quarterly estimated tax payments for the first quarter of 2010.  These payments would have normally been due April 15.

The announcement from the IRS is available by going to http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=221316,00.html.  It also includes a link to frequently asked questions about military personnel and citizens serving in combat zones.  Questions about state income tax returns can be sent to income@dor.mo.gov.