Nondomiciled Commercial Driver License or Permit FAQs
To be eligible for a nondomiciled CDL the applicant must provide:
- Missouri CDL written and skills testing;
- Documents required to verify identity, lawful status, Social Security number, and two documents to verify Missouri residential address; and
- Employment verification letter from a Missouri employer on company letterhead, dated within thirty (30) days that includes the following information:
- Company name and address;
- Company telephone number;
- Contact person’s name, for secondary verification if required;
- Statement indicating the applicant (by name) is currently employed as a commercial driver or in training to become a commercial driver for the employer; and
- Signature of company official or authorized representative.
- Applicants who are US Citizens or permanent resident aliens (1-551 card holder) must meet Missouri resident CDL requirements.
- Applicants who are citizens of Mexico or Canada cannot obtain or renew a Missouri CDL. They must apply for a CDL in their country since their testing and licensing standards meet FMCSA requirements and that is their place of domicile.
No. Applicants who are only eligible for a nondomiciled CDL may not add or retain a hazardous materials endorsement. A hazardous materials endorsement may only be issued to drivers who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent resident aliens.
No. If your immigration status at the time of license upgrade or renewal makes you ineligible for a resident CDL, you will be required to meet nondomiciled CDL employment and residence address verification requirements. If you are unable to meet those requirements, you must downgrade to a noncommercial license.
Yes. The testing requirement must be met to be eligible for a nondomiciled CDL.
No, effective August 28, 2008, the knowledge (written) test can only be administered in English pursuant to 302.720, RSMo.
No. A Farm Related Services Waiver (Seasonal CDL) to waive the commercial written and skills testing cannot be issued to an applicant who is only eligible for a nondomiciled CDL license. He or she must take all written and skills test and provide the required employment verification letter as noted in question 1 above.
If you still have questions, please check out other Driver Licensing FAQs.