Yes, you must collect sales tax if you are selling retail to the public. Any person or company that is selling goods to a final consumer is required to collect and remit Missouri sales tax. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are collecting the correct tax rate.

You may be exempt from collecting sales tax if you or your spouse is at least 65 years of age and the income from the sales of handicraft items does not constitute more than 50% or your annual income . If you meet these qualifications, pay tax on your purchase, complete and display an Exemption Certificate for Sales of Handicraft Items (Form 2478PDF Document). Contact 573-751-5860 or for further information.

Yes, you must obtain a Missouri sales tax license.

A Missouri Special Events Application Form 2643S, must be completed and submitted to the Missouri Department of Revenue. It can also be obtained by visiting our Business Tax Registration Forms page.

You will file and pay on the preprinted reporting forms that are mailed to you by the Department. If you are unable to locate this form, you may obtain a blank Form 53-1PDF Document from our website.

  • If products are sold at the event, give the breakdown for each city or county to allow the Department to distribute to the city or county their portion of the sales tax.
  • If orders were taken and then fulfilled at your place of business, sales tax would be remitted using your business location.

You may sell tax exempt to other vendors providing they have a valid sales tax license, they furnish you with their sales tax number and complete a Sales Tax Exemption Certificate (Form 149) for you to keep on file. A supply of these forms can be obtained by visiting our Business Tax Registration Forms page.

Your responsibilities for collecting and remitting sales tax are the same as a Missouri resident. However, if you earn more than $600.00 in the state of Missouri, you may also be required to file a Missouri state income tax return.

The Department requires all vendors to have their own Missouri Tax Identification number if they make sales at retail. Unregistered vendors will need to contact the Missouri Department of Revenue 3 to 4 weeks before the event to obtain a sales tax license. The license will be issued with a statement indicating "This business is authorized to make sales in all cities and counties within the State of Missouri and is required to collect and remit all applicable state and local sales taxes." Please see "How do I get a sales tax license?" for additional information.

Yes, contest entry fees and admission charges are taxable as fees paid to a place of amusement, entertainment, or recreation if the show includes activities that are considered amusement, entertainment, or recreation, unless the event falls under an exemption.

No, the amounts charged for vendor space or swap space (used to display products for sale) are not taxable fees.

Section 144.014, RSMo, provides a reduced tax rate for certain food sales. The 3% reduction applies to all types of food items that may be purchased with food stamps. This includes food or food products for home consumption, seeds and plants for use in gardens to produce food for personal consumption, and food items refrigerated or at room temperature. Any food that is normally bought at events to be eaten at the event and not be taken home does not qualify for the reduced food tax rate. For information please see

If you still have questions, please check out other Business Tax FAQs.

For more information pertaining to Special Events, contact the Department or Revenue at 573-751-5860, or email