Online No Tax Due System Information
State law, Section 144.083, RSMo, requires businesses to demonstrate they are compliant with state sales and withholding tax laws before they can receive or obtain certain licenses that are required to conduct business in the state. In other words, a business must show that it has “No Tax Due.”
Obtaining a Certificate of No Tax Due is quick, simple and free. A tax-compliant business will be able to print its Certificate of No Tax Due within minutes. Cities, counties and state agencies can verify whether a business is tax compliant before issuing or renewing a business license.
A business or organization that has received an exemption letter from the Department of Revenue should contact the Sales/Use Refund and Exemption Section at 573-751-2836 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request a Certificate of No Tax Due.
The Department is committed to making meeting this requirement as easy and as streamlined as possible for political subdivisions, state agencies and businesses. Therefore, we have developed an Online No Tax Due system that will allow political subdivisions, state agencies and business owners to quickly determine if a business has "no tax due," without requiring that a physical certificate be issued by the Department.
Here's how it works:
Political Subdivisions and State Agencies
- An employee of a political subdivision or state agency can enter the business owner's Missouri Tax Identification Number.
- The Online No Tax Due system will access our tax system, determine whether the business is in compliance and provide instantly a message that documents:
- A business is in compliance and the license can be issued; or
- The business must contact the Department of Revenue before a Certificate of No Tax Due can be issued.
If you are a city or county and want to obtain access to the system, please complete and mail Local License Renewal Records and Online Access Request (Form 4379A). A state agency wanting access to the system can complete Request for Information of State Agency License No Tax Due Online Access (Form 4379B). We will email login IDs and passwords to your employees.
- A business owner can enter their Missouri Tax Identification Number and PIN. If you cannot locate your PIN on a previous notice issued by the Department, you may call 573-751-7200.
- The Online No Tax Due system will access our tax system, determine whether the business is in compliance and provide instantly:
- A Certificate of No Tax Due. The business owner can print their own Certificate of No Tax Due to provide to the political subdivision or state agency; or
- A message directing the business owner to contact the Department of Revenue to obtain a Certificate of No Tax Due if one cannot be issued through the Online No Tax Due system because a business is not in full compliance.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Missouri Department of Revenue
PO Box 3666
Jefferson City, MO 65105-3666